We’re hiring an Editor / Senior Editor!
To apply, please email Rachel Finnie at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact her for more information at 07462217778.
Job title: Editor
/ Senior Editor
Education Offices, South Street, Reading, UK
Reporting to: Rachel
Role Summary: To facilitate editorial and
project management functions for Garnet Education
Garnet Education is a small but highly productive ELT publisher. We have a team of experts in the Reading office, who work hard and are used to tight deadlines and rapidly changing demands. We’re looking for someone who can fit well into this environment without a second thought.
Essential qualities – we are unable to accept applications that do not reflect these qualities
- Significant experience of working with ELT content.
- Experience of planning and correlating scope and sequences.
- Informed awareness of ELT markets, trends and products.
- Strong project management skills.
- Highly organized and be prepared to take initiative.
- Good, confident communicator on all levels.
- Willing to learn and be open to change.
- Deadline-driven and a competent time manager.
- Active and enthusiastic team player.
- Flexible and adaptable.
Desirable qualities – we will consider applications that do not reflect all of these qualities
- Experience with CEFR levels and other testing / assessment scales.
- Direct experience of ELT markets in different countries.
- Teaching experience in an ELT setting and a recognized ELT qualification.
- Knowledge of digital product development and the current digital landscape in ELT.
- Up-to-date knowledge of different approaches to learning.
Main Areas of Responsibility:
- Carry out all aspects of editing including, but not exclusively, the following tasks: write briefs, check and correct/develop manuscripts, cross check proofs against mark-ups, check and refine all proof stages, review artwork, photos, audio, video and digital materials at all stages of the production process.
- Work with the Publisher and the editorial team, and in conjunction with freelancers and authors, to help develop and shape or version material for new and/or customized products.
- Develop and content edit manuscripts for handover to the production or digital teams, and support the rest of the editorial team in this respect.
- Draw up artwork/image briefs for the design team; brief and liaise with the Publishing Assistant; assess the need for copyright and where necessary, liaise with the Publishing Assistant so they can apply for permission to use copyright material and maintain the copyright records.
- Attend recordings and check digital, audio and video materials.
- Where necessary, select artists and check roughs and final artwork.
- Lead, manage and deliver a range of ELT products.
- Facilitate and coordinate the work of authors, writers and in-house/freelance editorial staff and any external staff collaborating with Garnet.
- Oversee and support the content creation process to ensure market appropriateness, consistency, accuracy, legal acceptability, and appropriate realization of the agreed intent of the work.
- Constantly monitor project progress and status to ensure frequent and effective communication and smooth working relationships between team members, between departments and between authors/writers and staff.
- Inform and maintain agreed-upon project schedules, and agree and action key milestones.
- Report routinely to the Management Team on the overall progress of the allocated projects.
- ‘Watch’ projects in order to flag any concerns as early as possible, and suggest solutions.
- Collaborate with the other in-house teams to promote continuous improvement and cost-effective working practices.
- Maintain agreed procedures for working wherever possible. Suggest new procedures where they might result in increased efficiency.
- Maintain familiarity with relevant target
markets by undertaking market research to inform the development of allocated
- Where appropriate, work with the Publisher to
identify and commission projects.
- Commission authors/writers for specific
components as and when required, making selections by commissioning sample
material where appropriate.
- Negotiate relevant contracts within agreed
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with
current trends in ELT, and where possible share this knowledge within the team.
- Make a significant contribution to project
planning and development by working with colleagues in Editorial, Sales,
Marketing, and Production.
- Actively share your knowledge and keep
yourself informed about the ELT market and new trends in publishing.
- Interact positively with colleagues and
- Work with the Editorial and Operational teams
to facilitate the training and development of staff.
- Contribute towards the maintenance of a
positive working environment.
- Carry out routine administrative tasks as
- Delegate tasks to administrative team
- Carry out any other duties which might be reasonably expected of you by your immediate manager or a director, including attendance at book fairs and other promotional events.
- Be prepared to take on tasks not ordinarily within your job description, but where the wider team need extra support.
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram