In the very first episode of ELTtime, our Digital Manager, Matt, chats with Nik Peachey, a well-known teacher trainer and learning technology consultant. Expect inspiring discussions about creativity and innovation in the classroom, recommendations for handy apps to use, as well as hidden pitfalls to avoid when using tech in the classroom.
Let us know if you enjoyed the episode! Get in touch with any suggestions or questions – you can find us at @garneteducation everywhere!
This episode features:
Nik Peachey is a freelance teacher trainer, writer, conference speaker and learning technology consultant. With almost 30 years’ experience in education, he has lived and worked all over the world. He is a two-time winner of the British Council Innovations Award and Co – Founder of PeacheyPublications Ltd. He also co-edited Creativity in the English Language Classroom and Creativity, Global Issues and the Sustainable Development Goals for the British Council.
Matthew George is the Digital Manager at Garnet. He spends his days overseeing the digital department creating briefs for digital materials, fine tuning instructional design documents and liaising with developers in India and the USA. He works closely with the editorial department, helping to develop content that works equally well in both the print and digital contexts.
- Nik’s publications: – Digital Video a Manual for Language Teachers, Hacking Creativity, Digital Tools for Teachers and Thinking Critically through Digital Media
- Nik’s EdTech and ELT blog
- Nik’s Learning technology and ELT newsletter
- 21st Century Skills in the ELT classroom – Coming soon. Nik wrote chapter 2: Creativity and Innovation in ELT classes
- Shot clip – a social movie making app with different templates.
- Lyrics training – You can watch music videos and recreate the lyrics
- Hypersay – Nik uses this in presentations and conferences
- 0 – 0:19 – Intro
- 0:19 – 5:20 – ELTons and blended learning
- 5:20 – 9:48 – Creativity and innovation in the classroom
- 9:48 – 12:13 – How to create videos in a classroom setting
- 12:13 – 13:44 – Recommended resources, apps and websites for teachers to use
- 13:44 – 16:35 – Classroom management and video making
- 16:35 – 18:49 – Do activities such as video making favour outgoing students?
- 18:49 – 21:49 – Music podcasts
- 21:49 – 24:39 – Creative writing and texting
- 24:39 – 27:29 – Pitfalls to avoid when using tech
- 27:29 – 28:56 – Digital divide between teachers and students
- 28:56 – 30:28 – Do teachers actually want to use tech in their classroom?
- 30:28 – 32:00 – Have attention spans been ruined by social media?
- 32:00 – 35:38 – Are translation apps putting teachers out of business?
- 35:38 – Outro
Please note that the views, information, or opinions expressed during these podcasts are solely those of the individuals involved and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Garnet Education. Any contributors to the podcasts who are themselves employees of Garnet Education express their views and opinions in a personal capacity and not as representatives of the company.