English for Medicine is a skills-based course designed specifically for students of medicine who are about to enter English-medium tertiary-level studies. It provides carefully graded practice of the key academic skills that all students need, such as listening to lectures and speaking in seminars. It also equips students with the specialist vocabulary they need for study in a medicine faculty. Extensive listening exercises come from medical lectures, which together with the reading texts cover the core areas of medical studies.
In the 2nd Edition, the course has been updated by the authors to reflect recent medical research and practice. The lectures, articles and graphics have been revised to incorporate new sources from the literature. The skills syllabus has also been updated, with new material on developing online study skills and more structured practice of key spoken language.
The Teacher’s Book includes:
• Detailed teaching notes on all exercises to help teachers prepare effective lessons
• Complete answer keys, including model written answers
• Full transcripts of all listening exercises, with audio provided online
• A lesson-by-lesson overview of each unit, including key learning objectives, page references and online resources for each lesson
• Comprehensive cross references to the Vocabulary Bank and Skills Bank in the Course Book
• Supplementary online resources, including:
– worksheets to support Course Book exercises
– audio for modelling pronunciation
– extension activities
Garnet Education’s English for Specific Academic Purposes (ESAP) series covers a range of academic subjects. It was released to acclaim in 2008 and won the Duke of Edinburgh English-Speaking Union English Language Award in 2009. In the 2nd Edition, the books have been updated to reflect a decade of developments in each academic discipline. The core skills and vocabulary syllabus has been revised for the needs of students in the 2020s, and new online resources have been added, including a digital Workbook and vocabulary practice activities on Quizlet.
Publication date: 11 Jun 2021
Number of pages: 264