This eBook edition includes on-page hotspots that link to audio tracks, allowing students to play audio quickly and conveniently. For further information and access to your eBook purchase, please click the Access eBook tab.
English for Medicine is a skills-based course designed specifically for students of medicine who are about to enter English-medium tertiary-level studies. It provides carefully graded practice of the key academic skills that all students need, such as listening to lectures and speaking in seminars. It also equips students with the specialist vocabulary they need for study in a medicine faculty. Extensive listening exercises come from medical lectures, which together with the reading texts cover the core areas of medical studies.
In the 2nd Edition, the course has been updated by the authors to reflect recent medical research and practice. The lectures, articles and graphics have been revised to incorporate new sources from the literature. The skills syllabus has also been updated, with new material on developing online study skills and more structured practice of key spoken language.
- Listening – how to understand and take effective notes on extended lectures, follow a complex spoken argument and identify the speaker’s point of view
- Speaking – how to participate effectively in a range of academic contexts, including developing an argument in a short presentation, participating in seminars and asking questions in lectures
- Reading – how to understand and analyze a range of academic text types, including research papers, textbooks, graphs and charts, medical illustrations, lecture slides and handouts, dictionaries, and institutional websites
- Writing – how to produce coherent and well-structured assignments, incorporating idiomatic academic language and paraphrasing/quoting research sources appropriately
- Vocabulary Bank + Skills Bank – a reference resource incorporating the key vocabulary and skills from each unit, extensively revised and cross-referenced to activities throughout the book
Garnet Education’s English for Specific Academic Purposes (ESAP) series covers a range of academic subjects. It was released to acclaim in 2008 and won the Duke of Edinburgh English-Speaking Union English Language Award in 2009. In the 2nd Edition, the books have been updated to reflect a decade of developments in each academic discipline. The core skills and vocabulary syllabus has been revised for the needs of students in the 2020s, and new online resources have been added, including a digital Workbook and vocabulary practice activities on Quizlet.
Publication date: 25 Jan 2021
Number of pages: