IELTS Target 5.0: Preparation for IELTS General Training – Leading to IELTS Academic
IELTS Target 5.0 is aimed at students wishing to prepare for the IELTS exam while studying at pre-intermediate level. The main focus of preparation is IELTS General Training, as this is more appropriate for this level of student. Additional bridging material is incorporated later in the course for those students wishing to continue with IELTS Academic.
The IELTS General Training section consists of three five-unit sections that take the student from a strong elementary to intermediate level. The earlier units focus on basic skills and basic language, including sentence structure and spelling. The IELTS Academic section consists of five units that prepare students for the academic content of reading passages and the more challenging writing tasks. By the end of the course, students will be working with text and language that is close to that found in the exam. Exam tips are provided throughout the course to familiarize students with the various exam tasks and to provide advice on how to obtain the highest score possible.
The Teacher’s Book includes:
- Comprehensive teaching notes on all exercises to help teachers prepare effective lessons
- Complete answer keys to all exercises
- Full tapescripts of listening exercises
Each General Training unit consists of five modules:
- Speaking and Vocabulary: This prepares students for the type of interaction they can expect with the examiner. The vocabulary selected is that most frequently encountered during the Speaking test.
- Listening: This module is in two sections. The first section engages students in a topic and pre-teaches key vocabulary, before focusing on a key skill or particular IELTS exam technique. The second section practises the skill.
- Reading: As with the Listening Module.
- Writing: This deals with both parts of the Writing test, each unit focusing on a different writing skill or technique. There is a focus on guided writing, with model compositions and reports for all tasks.
- Consolidation and Exam Practice: The first part revises the speaking focus and vocabulary in the first module. The second part practises listening, reading or writing skills under exam-type conditions.
Each Academic unit consists of Reading and Writing Modules only.
The course also includes end-of-section review material and mock tests.
See accompanying combined Course Book and Workbook and Interactive Course Book CD-ROM.
Publication date: 3 Jan 2014
Number of pages: 280